Butternut Squash & Kale Salad with Maple-Balsamic Dressing Recipes
Fall Harvest Salad featuring roasted butternut squash & hearty kale. Tossed with an easy but flavorful rosemary-infused maple-balsamic dressing!
Cuisine : Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Vegan,
Recipe Yields : 6 small side servings
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 35 minutes
Keywords : autumn, butternut squash, easy, healthy, holiday, kale, recipe, thanksgiving,
- 1 large bunch kale (I use dinosaur/lacinato)
- 2 cups butternut squash (cubed)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pepitas/pumpkin seeds (I use this brand)
- Optional additions: apple, toasted pecans, maple-vanilla candied nuts, thinly sliced red onion, green onion
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced (or more to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Prepare the butternut squash: slice off each end, cut vertically in half, and remove the seeds. Peel and cube squash into about 3/4" chunks. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and arrange squash cubes in a single layer. Salt/pepper to taste if desired (or other seasonings if you wish).
- Roast for 30-35 minutes (or to desired tenderness), stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: mince garlic and fresh rosemary (stems removed). Add all dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine. Taste and alter flavors if desired. (Salt, more maple syrup for sweetness, more rosemary, etc.) Set aside.
- Tear or slice kale into bite-sized pieces (stems removed). Place in a large bowl. Gently massage to soften.
- Pour dressing over kale and massage again to incorporate. Set aside and let marinate for a few minutes.
- When squash is done, add to kale and gently toss. Sprinkle cranberries and pepitas on top. (Or try it with some Maple-Vanilla Candied Nuts!)
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post