Creamy Clam Chowder (Whole30, Paleo, Dairy Free) Recipes
A super-rich and creamy New England style clam chowder that’s dairy free, Whole30, and paleo. This healthy Whole30 soup is easy and loaded with potatoes, bacon, clams, and a crazy good cashew cream sauce.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2.5-3 cups chicken broth (divided)
- 6 slices bacon (sliced)
- 1 medium white onion (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped, leaves discarded)
- 2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 pound red potatoes
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 6.5- ounce cans of chopped clams (undrained)
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh chives (thinly sliced, for garnish)
- Place cashews in a medium heatproof bowl. In a saucepan bring 1 cup of chicken broth to a boil, then pour over cashews. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in a medium saucepan until crisp then, using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and return saucepan to stove over medium heat.
- Add the onion and celery to the saucepan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds. Sprinkle arrowroot starch over and stir until well combined.
- Pour in 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and whisk until smooth. Add the potatoes, clam juice, and bay leaf to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked through and tender about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your cashew cream: pour chicken broth-cashew mixture into a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth. Pour cashew cream, clams, and plenty of salt and pepper into saucepan and stir. Add the extra 1/2 cup of chicken broth, if desired, to thin. Return to a simmer and cook a couple of minutes or until flavors are melded.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with bacon and chives.
Rated : 5 from 3 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post