How to cook nopales (cactus) Recipes
How to cook nopales (cactus): a perfect meaty veggie for vegan dishes. Awesome in Mexican-inspired meals or tossed with a little chimichurri!
- Nopales paddles
- Oil (optional)
- Salt (to taste)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (smashed, optional)
- Pick nopales paddles that are flexible but not soft. They should give a little but not TOO much. Smaller paddles are more tender.
- Remove knobs and spines with a knife or peeler. See post for greater detail. Trim the edges about 1/4″ and the base about 1/2″. Wash and then cut into strips or squares, as you desire.
- Two options for cooking. First: bring a pot of salted water with a couple smashed cloves of garlic to boil. Add prepared nopales and let boil about 15-20 minutes, or until tender and gelatinous substance has seeped out. Drain and use as desired.
- Second option: Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat on the stove and add a bit of oil. Add cactus and a pinch of salt and cook for a couple minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Let sweat and cook 20 minutes, or until clear substance has evaporated. Use as desired.
Rated : 5 from 4 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post