Instant Pot Dal Recipes
The perfect Instant Pot dal! An easy and quick Indian yellow lentil dish that's filling, spiced but not heavy, bright, delicious. Vegetarian / vegan.
- 1/2 cup yellow lentils (also called toor dal or split pigeon peas)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or avocado oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 green chili (chopped, see Notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 large tomato (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt (to taste)
- cilantro (to garnish)
- naan (to serve)
- basmati rice (to serve)
- Wash and rinse the lentils and set them aside.
- Press saute mode on Instant Pot and add the oil. Once it's hot add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let them heat and crackle until they become fragrant.
- Add the chopped garlic, green chili and saute until the garlic starts turning golden brown in color.
- Add the chopped tomato and mix. Cook everything for a minute.
- Then add the salt, turmeric powder and cook the mixture for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rinsed lentils and stir everything together.
- Add the water, mix, and close the lid of the Instant Pot.
- Cancel saute mode.
- Select manual and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, wait 6-7 minutes and then release the pressure.
- Adjust the salt to taste and add the garam masala, cilantro and lemon juice. You can change the consistency of the dal at this point if you wish by stirring in more water.
Rated : 5 from 5 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post