Matcha Marshmallows Recipes
Pillowy homemade marshmallows infused with antioxidant-rich, grassy matcha. A perfectly elegant twist on a classic confection.
- 3 packages unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup ice cold water (, divided)
- 12 ounces granulated sugar (, approximately 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons matcha
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened rice flour (, for dusting)
- matcha (, for dusting)
- Nonstick spray
- Place the gelatin into the bowl of a stand mixer along with 1/2 cup of the water. Have the whisk attachment standing by.
- In a small saucepan combine the remaining 1/2 cup water, granulated sugar, corn syrup and salt. Place over medium high heat, cover and allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover, clip a candy thermometer onto the side of the pan and continue to cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees F, approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Once the mixture reaches this temperature, immediately remove from the heat. Whisk in 2 tablespoons matcha powder.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and, while running, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture. Once you have added all of the syrup, increase the speed to high. Continue to whip until the mixture becomes very thick and is lukewarm, approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Add the vanilla during the last minute of whipping. While the mixture is whipping prepare the pans as follows.
- In a small bowl, place sweetened rice flour and whisk in a bit of matcha to color the mixture light green. Lightly spray a 13 by 9-inch metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the sweetened rice flour mixture and move around to completely coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Return the remaining mixture to the bowl for later use.
- When ready, pour the mixture into the prepared pan, using a lightly oiled spatula for spreading evenly into the pan. Dust the top with enough sweetened rice flour mixture to lightly cover. Reserve the rest. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for at least 4 hours, up to overnight.
- Turn the marshmallows out onto a cutting board and cut into 1-inch squares using a pizza cutter dusted with the sweetened rice flour mixture. Once cut, lightly dust all sides of each marshmallow or toss with the remaining mixture. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Rated : 5 from 3 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post