Easy Marinara Sauce Recipes
Healthy, homemade marinara sauce! Perfect for spooning over your pasta creations (or as a dipping sauce for your favorite garlic bread)!
- 2 small onions
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 small carrots
- Two 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
- Variations: add crushed red pepper if you like a kick, or fresh basil or parsley for topping
- Prepare vegetables: finely chop onion, celery, and carrots. Mince garlic. (Or pulse in a food processor to save time.)
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, add oil (or use water/veggie broth for no-oil saute method). Add onions and saute about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, celery, carrots, and salt and pepper.
- Stir and saute another 8-10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Add crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, and bay leaves. Reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered until sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Season with more salt/pepper to taste if necessary.
Rated : 5 from 8 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post