Healthier In N Out Burgers: Double Double Animal Style Recipes
Two thin beef patties brushed with mustard, loaded with pickle slices, deeply caramelized onions, a creamy special sauce, all sandwiched between two perfect iceberg lettuce buns. Paleo, Whole30, and low carb friendly.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (my Whole30 immersion blender mayo recipe is perfect – see notes)
- 3 tablespoon ketchup (my Whole30 ketchup recipe is perfect – see notes)
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1-2 tsp. additional coconut aminos if on Whole30 (skip additional if using maple syrup otherwise)
- 2 tsp. maple syrup (if not on Whole30)
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 white onions (medium, finely chopped (about 3 cups))
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt (plus more)
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce (small to medium)
- 3 teaspoons avocado oil (divided)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- black pepper (freshly cracked)
- 8 dill pickles slices
- 2 slices ripe tomato (1/4" thick slices)
- nonstick skillet
- cast-iron skillet
- Make the sauce: combine mayonnaise, ketchup, dill relish, coconut aminos, maple syrup (if not on Whole30), and vinegar in a small bowl. Stir to combine and chill while you continue cooking.
- Heat 2 teaspoons avocado oil in a medium skillet (preferably non-stick) over medium-high heat until oil is shimmering. Add onions and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are browned, about 15 minutes. Once onions are browned, they will start to sizzle and look dry. Add 1 tablespoon water to skillet and stir, cooking until water evaporates and onions begin sizzling again. Repeat the process with 1 tablespoon water until onions are dark brown and extremely caramelized, about 3 times, a total of about 30 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Make the lettuce “buns”: slice off the stem of the head of iceberg lettuce, about 1/2-3/4”. Cut into fourths: down the center, then slice each half in half to make wedges. Take out the middle 2/3 of each iceberg wedge, so it leaves just a 3/4” thick lettuce “bun”. Set aside.
- Shape ground beef into four 2-ounce patties that are very thin and very wide, about 1/4″ thick and at least 4″ wide. Season patties with plenty of salt and pepper. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon avocado oil to a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat; swirl the oil around the pan to coat with a thin layer. When the oil is very, very hot, add burger patties. Spread 1 tablespoon mustard on the top, raw side. Cook patties, without moving, until they’re very well browned and a bit crusty on the bottom, about 2-3 minutes. Flip patties so the mustard side is down and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Prepare your burgers: for each burger, spread about scant 1 tablespoon of animal sauce onto the inside of one lettuce “buns”. Top with 2 pickles, then one slice tomato. Top with a burger patty and about 1 tablespoon caramelized onions, plus more if you like. Top with another burger patty and another 1 tablespoon caramelized onions. Top with another scant 1 tablespoon of sauce then the final lettuce bun. Wrap in parchment paper or aluminum foil and devour!
Rated : 5 from 3 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post