Whole30 Tomato Tart Recipes
This Whole30 Tomato Tart features a creamy base made from parsnips and coconut cream, paired with a thick homemade tomato sauce and finished with fresh tomatoes, shallots and garlic. The perfect light Whole30 lunch or brunch recipe!
- 3 sweet onions (diced (about 2-1/2 cups))
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 fresh tomatoes (seeded and diced (about 1-1/2 cups, no juices) + 1-2 additional tomatoes (depending on their size), sliced)
- 1 18.3- ounce jar crushed tomatoes (Jovial brand preferred)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (Jovial brand preferred)
- 1 clove garlic (minced or crushed)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2-1/2 cups parsnip puree (warm (from about 3 pounds parsnips, peeled and well-cooked [boil or steam until fork-tender/very soft, puree in blender or food processor, then measure]))
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (room temperature (from full-fat canned coconut milk, scooped and measured from the upper half of the can))
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Optional garnishes: sautéed shallots (sautéed garlic slices and fresh basil)
- In large saucepan, over medium-high heat, sauté onion in olive oil until soft, about 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Add the fresh tomatoes, jarred tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, basil, thyme, sea salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes, uncovered, until the liquid is almost evaporated. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a pie plate. Set aside.
- In large bowl or blender, beat together warm parsnip puree, coconut cream, eggs, sea salt and pepper. Combine until mixed thoroughly. It will be thick and smooth.
- Pour puree into greased pie plate. Use a spatula to distribute the puree, so it’s slightly concave, and higher around the edges.
- Ladle the tomato sauce around the center, spreading it to within an inch or so of the edge, so the parsnips create a border.
- Fan tomato slices around the center of the pie, decoratively overlapping them.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Optionally garnish with sautéed shallots, garlic and fresh basil.
Rated : 5 from 5 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post