Paleo Peppermint Oreos Recipes
These paleo peppermint Oreos are so much like the “real thing”, but with no processed sugar, no grains, and no dairy. It’s a Christmas miracle!
- Chocolate Cookies:
- 2 cups fine-sifted almond flour ((I use Blue Diamond from Costco))
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (, ground fine in a blender)
- 1/4 cup organic shortening
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (, melted)
- 1 egg (, beaten, preferably at room temperature)
- Peppermint Filling:
- 1/2 cup coconut cream ((the solid white part from a can of refrigerated full-fat coconut milk)*)
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated palm shortening
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons maple sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon tapioca flour ((5 total tablespoons))
- Make the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Make the cookie dough. Add all ingredients, in order they are listed, to food processor bowl. Pulse until a dough forms. The dough will be pretty crumbly, but this is fine. Turn out the mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap. Divide into two equal portions, form a ball, and smush down slightly into a disc. Wrap each tightly in plastic wrap and chill for about 10 minutes.
- Remove dough from the fridge, unwrap, and roll out to 1/8″ thickness in between two sheets of parchment paper. Cut out cookies with round cookie cutter, about 2 1/2″ wide or so. Place the cookies about 1″ apart on the parchment-paper-lined cookie sheet. Return to fridge or freezer for about 5-10 minutes, or while you continue to cut out the rest of the cookies.
- After chilling, remove cookie sheet and place in oven. Bake about 15 minutes, or until firm to the touch. (If the cookies ever begin to smell nutty, they’re going to burn! Remove them from the oven.) Carefully transfer to wire cooling rack and cool completely.
- Make the peppermint filling:
- Add coconut cream, maple sugar, peppermint extract, and shortening to the bowl of a food processor. Process until very smooth.
- Add in tapioca flour 1 tablespoon at a time, blending until smooth in between each addition. Then allow the mixture to puree for another 5 minutes until very smooth.
- Make the “Oreos”:
- Spread a scant tablespoon or so of filling on top of one cooled cookie then sandwich another on top. Repeat until all cookies are made. Freeze for about 5-10 minutes before serving to allow the frosting to harden a bit.*
Rated : 5 from 6 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post