Quinoa Avocado Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette Recipes
This nourishing, hearty salad is loaded with nutrition and filling enough to be a main course. The sweet and tangy maple dijon dressing is easy to make and adds a nice touch to an already flavourful dish. Try this salad with field greens, kale, arugula or spinach for the base.
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp each cumin, sea salt and black pepper
- 4 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar or balsamic
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 small roasted beet, sliced
- 1/4 of a roasted acorn squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- large handful of mixed field greens (or greens of choice such as spinach, arugula or kale)
- 1/4 to 1/2 a ripe avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- To Make the Roasted Chickpeas. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Prepare the chickpeas by draining them and giving them a thorough rinse. Place them on a dish towel, fold it over them and roll them around until they’re near completely dry. The drier, the better. If some of the skins come off that’s good, you can pick those out. For the crispiest chickpeas, remove all the skins. Place the dried chickpeas on a baking tray and drizzle them with the olive oil, rolling around so they’re all coated. Roast for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. When they come out of the oven add the spices and roll around to coat. They will get crispy as they cool.
- To Make the Roasted Beets. Peel and slice beets. Toss with 1 tsp of olive or avocado oil and roast at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes until tender.
- To Make the Roasted Squash. Cut the acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds and place face down on a baking tray. Roast until easily pierced with a fork. I roasted the squash at the same time as the beets. If you want you can roast the chickpeas, squash and beets at the same time at 350, the beets and squash will just take a little longer.
- To Make the Dressing. Add all the ingredients to a small dish and whisk or shake in a container until smooth and creamy.
- To Make the Salad. Start with a big handful of greens then top with the diced avocado, roasted beet, roasted squash, roasted chickpeas, diced avocado, scoop of quinoa and drizzle of dressing. For leftovers, store the dressing separately so the salad doesn’t get soggy.
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post