Vegan Falafel Recipes
A fresh, herby falafel that’s so simple to throw together, yet so completely delicious.
- 1 cup roughly chopped white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (drained)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (4 tablespoons, whole wheat, brown rice, chickpea flour, etc, or half-and-half mix of white flour and “whole” flour)
- Canola oil or olive oil (for sauteing)
- Pita bread (for serving, optional)
- Hummus (for serving, optional)
- Baba ganoush (for serving, optional)
- Add the onion and garlic cloves to the bowl of a food processor and pulse just until they are finely minced. Remove the mixture and set it aside.
- Add the chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, salt, chili powder, and cumin to the bowl of the food processor and pulse until they are roughly blended but not pureed.
- Return the onion mixture to the food processor, along with the baking powder and just enough flour so that when you pulse the processor, the mixture begins to form a small ball and is not sticky. (Note: Start by adding 2 tablespoons of flour, and then the remaining 2 tablespoons. You can add more if the mixture is still too wet.)
- Transfer the falafel mixture to a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 1 hour.
- Once the falafel mixture has chilled, use a small ice cream scoop or spoons to form the mixture into balls (roughly 3 Tablespoons per ball). (Note: You can also add additional flour at this point, if the mixture is too wet to scoop.)
- Set a large sauté pan or cast-iron skillet over medium heat and add a liberal amount of canola oil so that the pan is well-coated. Let the pan pre-heat for 3 minutes then add the falafel one by one, browning them on the first side for 3 minutes, then flipping them once and browning the second side until the mixture is cooked throughout.
- Transfer the falafel to a paper towel-lined cooling wrack and immediately season them with salt. Repeat this process until you have cooked all of the falafel.
- Place three or four falafel inside a halved, warmed pita and slather with hummus or baba ganoush, or just eat unwrapped with hummus/baba ganoush!
Rated : 5 from 6 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post