Vegan Blueberry Pie Recipes
Make use of in season blueberries with a classic blueberry pie. Simple, sweet, a bit rustic, and totally vegan!
- 1 recipe for double-crust pie crust ((see my recipe below for vegan))
- 4 cups blueberries
- zest of one lemon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- neutral oil for brushing crust
- Vegan pie crust:
- 1 cup vegan butter (, cut into small pieces and frozen)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- ice water (, about 6-8 tablespoons)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- If making pie crust:
- Chill a mixing bowl and pastry cutter until cold. Whisk together flour and salt in mixing bowl then cut in vegan butter until the size of peas, using two knives or a pastry cutter. Begin to mix in ice water, about a tablespoon at a time, or until dough begins to form – it should just hold together. Don’t overwork the dough, and keep the ice water at a minimum! The more you work the dough, the tougher it will get; the more ice water, the less flaky and rich.
- Once dough is forming, push together mixture into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap, then flatten to a disk gently. Freeze at least 20 minutes, or until vegan butter is solid again.
- To roll out: remove dough from freezer and divide in half using a pastry cutter or knife. Reform dough into a disk and roll one piece on a well-floured surface or pastry board, rolling from the center to the edge, turning 1/4 of the way after each roll, until it’s large enough to fit in a deep dish pie pan. Using your rolling pin, roll crust up around the pin, move to the edge of your pie pan, then unroll. Place in freezer while you prepare the filling. For the top piece crust, wait to roll out until blueberries are prepared, or roll out and keep on the board in the freezer, so the vegan butter stays cold.
- For the filling: toss blueberries with other ingredients (besides oil) and pour into prepared pie crust. Roll out second pie crust half and lattice (here’s a great video on the technique), then crimp edges. Brush top with neutral oil and cover crust edges with aluminum foil. Bake about 45 minutes, removing aluminum foil after about 25 minutes. Serve with vegan ice cream, like Tofutti!
Rated : 5 from 6 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post