Paleo Pumpkin Pie Recipes
This paleo pumpkin pie is a must have for any Thanksgiving or Christmas table! This recipe is a rich version of the holiday classic dessert, but it's gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
- 1 3/4 cups cassava Flour
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup cold vegetable shortening
- 2 Eggs
- Water (as needed)
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 14 ounce can coconut cream
- whipped coconut cream (for serving, optional)
- Combine the dry ingredients in a food processor (be careful when dumping the cassava flour into the mixer, it billows quite easily). Give the dry ingredients a couple of pulses to ensure they’re well mixed and wait about a minute for the flour to settle in the food processor.
- Add the coconut oil or fat of choice and pulse the mixture a few times, until the dough begins to form small beads throughout the flour.
- Add the two eggs and pulse until the eggs are absorbed and a rough ball of dough has begun to form.
- Place the contents of the food processor into a bowl and knead the dough by hand, slowly adding cold water in 1 tablespoon increments. The dough should be a playdough consistency. When you think you’re close, roll a small piece of the dough into a ball and squish the ball between your forefinger and thumb. If the dough is ready, it will flatten, not crack or fall apart.
- Once you’ve reached the consistency, form the dough into a ball or disk and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Unwrap the dough and cut into half, place one half of the dough in the fridge.
- Lightly dust two pieces of parchment paper with cassava flour, and roll the dough out between them. The dough is incredibly delicate (no grains!) so try not to roll the dough out any thinner than it needs to be–12 inches for a 9-inch pie plate. If the dough cracks, press it back together and in place.
- Press the dough into the pie plate, return the pie to the fridge for 20 minutes.
- When pie crust is ready, combine pumpkin pie filling ingredients in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat about 5 minutes, or until the coconut cream is totally melted and smooth. pour into prepared pie crust
- Bake in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped coconut cream before serving.
Rated : 5 from 9 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post