Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipes
Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is the ultimate comfort soup made with loads of ham, chunks of potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, chicken broth, milk and cheddar cheese.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, (finely diced)
- 2 celery, (diced)
- 2 carrots, (peeled and diced)
- 3 garlic cloves, (minced)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large Russet potatoes, (peeled and diced)
- 2 cups ham, (diced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, (shredded)
- sea salt
- ground pepper
- Rinse the celery, carrots and potatoes. Peel the carrots and potatoes.
- Dice the celery, carrots, potatoes and onion. Mince the garlic cloves.
- Dice the ham. If using leftover ham, rinse off any glaze beforehand.
- Melt the butter in a soup pot on the stovetop on a medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, celery and onion to the pot. Stir and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Immediately add the flour followed by broth and milk. Stir well.
- Add ham and potatoes. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Salt and pepper to taste. I find salt isn't necessary in this recipe but you may like it.
- Reduce to a simmer and add a bay leaf. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when poked with a fork. Time can vary depending on the size the potatoes were diced.
- Remove bay leaf. Add a cup and a half of the cheese. Stir. Turn off heat and serve.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top with chives and freshly ground pepper.
Rated : 5 from 8 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post