Homemade Angel Food Cake Recipes
A beautifully light and fluffy cake, perfect for a variety of dessert dishes!
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 12 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Don’t grease or flour your angel food cake pan. A 10″ round pan or an angel food loaf pan will fit this recipe well.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and 3/4 cup of the sugar. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the egg whites, salt, and extracts. Use the whisk attachment and beat until mixture is frothy, about one minute, and then sprinkle in the cream of tartar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Add the remaining sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, then gradually fold in the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into the pan, and bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until it’s golden brown and the top springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and set it upside down on the pan’s “feet” or if your pan doesn’t have feet- with a bottle through its center cone to keep its top from flattening on the counter. Let the cake cool for 1 1/2 hours.
- Loosen the edges of the cake with a knife, and remove it from the pan.
- Store the cake, covered, on the counter for up to a week. Freeze, well wrapped, for up to 3 months.
Rated : 5 from 3 votes
For more details about this recipe, please read the original post